Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Today was the day.....Part 5


After tucking the babies in last night.....so cute.....they were all in a little ball; I awoke this morning to chirping from mom and dad.  Something seemed a little unusual.  Momma bird just stayed right by the birdhouse watching and chirping. Dad kept flying from the railing to the table to the floor.   I saw momma catch about 5 flies.  Didn't realize they were that fast!

Two of the babies, I'm guessing the ones who kept sneaking out, were front and center during feeding times.  However, they would eat and then go back into the "ball".  Well, I guess that wasn't where they wanted to be, later this afternoon, hubs came in to tell me he found the two by the pool pump.  Sure enough, there they were!  One was a little wobbly and not sure, but "lead man" was hopping and enjoying his freedom.  Mom and Dad were around chirping and encouraging them to "explore". 

About an hour later, I found them in the tree.  I can't believe they were big enough for that! Too bad they decided to pick today to fly the coop though.  We are having thunderstorms and high wind.  I hope mom and dad tucked them away somewhere safe!  Wonder if they're wishing for their nice warm nest.

We still have two in the birdhouse.  Mom keeps checking on them but does't seem to be feeding them a lot.  They don't seem to be in any hurry to leave.  Still in the little ball.  Maybe they were hatched later and still have a few days to go.

So, tonight, I'll sit on pins and needles for the two that are gone and for the two that are still in the birdhouse. 

This is a lot of work!!!   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment